Running xubuntu 12.10 (xfce 4.10) with nvidia binary driver (304.51). I
noticed something similar to this when using the redshift utility. After
a suspend, my screen in the morning would retain the gamma correction
from the previous night.

Using xrandr manually:

~$ xrandr --query
(...)
DVI-I-1 connected 1680x1050+1680+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
474mm x 296mm
(...)
DVI-D-0 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
433mm x 271mm
(...)

~$ xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --gamma 1.0:1.0:1.0

doesn't produce any visible results immediatly, but WILL after you
switch to another VT and back to X (say alt-F1 then alt-F7).

Using the nvidia-settings utility to set the gamma values shows the same
behavior, the settings are only applied after a VT switching.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  Screen partially darkened after suspend and resume in Xubuntu