Ped, regarding your comments
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer-updates/+bug/1068404/comments/107
 :
>""* This patch has enabled many users to have their hybrid systems working. No
>reported regressions so far" ^^ not true, the Nick's PPA packages do *NOT*
>work for me. (intel driver does crash straight away when vga switching is
>disabled in BIOS, before fglrx comes into play, X crashes after loading
>libfbdevhw.so)"

The bug title is too broad, so we are unfortunately getting comments
from people who have a hybrid ATI/Intel system, but this bug report's
scope does not actually cover their hardware/problem. Based on you and
other users who also found the WORKAROUND did not work, this bug report
is not about your or their system, but of the original reporter's
hardware combination and problem, and duplicate bug reports known to
share the same root problem and WORKAROUND.

Hence, if you have a bug in Ubuntu, could you please file a new report by
executing the following in a terminal:
ubuntu-bug xorg

For more on this, please see the Ubuntu X.Org Team (maintainers of
fglrx-installer and fglrx-installer-updates), Ubuntu Bug Control, and Ubuntu
Bug Squad article:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/BestPractices#X.2BAC8-Reporting.Focus_on_One_Issue

and Ubuntu Community article:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_reporting_etiquette

When opening up the new report, please feel free to subscribe me to it.

Please note, not filing a new report may delay your problem being
addressed as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Low graphics mode in Hybrid ATI/Intel GPU systems after fglrx upgrade