You load youtube and before it finishes the browser freezes. Then you
type something into the search bar and the browser freezes again. You
visit other websites with javascript interaction and the browser
freezes. This happens also when you click the "star" symbol in the
browser to bookmark or when you try to switch tabs.

But this is not a browser problem!! The behaviour changed with the
"dist-upgrade" when new mesa and compiz packages arrived. I made sure
there really was no code change of the browser.

Additionally, the screen snapshotting tool crashed during the file save
option when I had the spotify client launched.

All in all totally unacceptable for updates to break my system like
this.

Sad that I can not just switch operating systems like people advise me

** Summary changed:

- Second Life & Google Earth do not load for the intel "sandy bridge" gfx chip
+ mysterious application behaviour for the intel "sandy bridge" hardware

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  mysterious application behaviour for the intel "sandy bridge" hardware