it seems everything before 3.5.0-17-generic does not have this issue.

I installed every kernel (-10 to -16) and with none of them running the
issue was present. -17 came with the Quantal installation and does have
the issue. I am not 100% sure I have tested this the correct way ( there
may be some other factors) but this might mean that the issue started to
appear in 3.5.0-17 which has the following changelog:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux/linux_3.5.0-17.28/changelog
. The log does not seem to contain anything relevant, but I might be
overlooking something.

  Screen stays black after grub. Suspend activates it.