ive been reading those threads for 3-4 days... and i think i might have
found a solution that could work for some.  Well... it works for me,
Its been stable for a few hours and i could never pass the 10mins mark
until now.

I have a HP Pavilion 92077I with more ram.
I tried Ubuntu Desktop, Server (+kde), Server (+Gnome).  Version 12.10 and
12.0.4.
I tried Latest Mint and latest Debian... all the same results...  total freeze
after a few mins in the graphical interface.
Complete lockdown.  No mouse, no ALT+F1...nothing.
Had to hard reboot everytime.  In a few cases i couldnt even get through the
whole install process.  I/O Errors. (with 2 different drives)

God im tired...

I tried everything.  Changing the HD, the video card, checking the RAM.
Switched the cpu, the network card, etc.  With all the combinations
above.

Then i went to the BIOS ( i hate myself for not having tried that
before) and found this setting:

"on chip serial ata ": Disabled/Combined Mode/Enhanced Mode/Sata Only

It was on "enhanced" for the whole time. After setting it to :
Disabled.. if finally worked!

I should have known that. My drive id IDE.  Cant believe i missed that.
If you do have an SATA drive..make sure its set accordingly in the BIOS.

Anyway... maybe its not all our issue here...but i thought maybe it
could help someone.

I created an account here just so i could post this.  Even if it helps
only one person, then mission accomplished.

Good luck everyone

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.