I'm not sure it make sense for this to be an ubuntu bug yet.  I'm
guessing you're talking about communicating the keyboard layout from
gnome-control-center to weston.  I think it would make more sense to
first discuss on the wayland list how that should even happen.

I believe the only way to set it now is with the weston.ini, probably
with the keymap_layout setting.  And I don't think there's a global
default weston.ini yet that you could put it in, which maybe there
should be.  The weston.ini man page has at least been committed
upstream:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/man/weston.ini.man

which is subscribed to weston in Ubuntu.

  Weston does not respect keyboard language setting