Public bug reported:

Hi

I have a Thinkpad W530 notebook with a Quadro K1000M video card. I have a
problem using a second monitor on it, with a mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter.
If I use only the LCD panel on the notebook, everything works fine. As soon as
I connect a second monitor, it falls apart.
The BIOS is set to "Discreet graphics", and any Optimus stuff is disabled,
virtualization is disabled.

First I tried with 12.04 LTS (64bit). Installation went smooth, no problems
there. The only thing I noticed: by default it uses the nouveau driver which
can't seem to recognize the graphics card correctly, at least I don't have the
1920x1080 resolution, only 800x600 or 1024x768 (see attached
Xorg-12.04.1-nouveau.log).
If I connect the second monitor using nouveau, nothing happens.

I installed the proprietary driver offered after the first boot (version
current-updates, 304.43-0ubuntu0.1) which did solve the resolution
issue. It was working ok at 1920x1080 resolution. But the moment I
connect the second monitor, it craps out. The LCD panel goes blank, the
second monitor is in standby. I can login through SSH and see that Xorg
is 100% CPU usage. I can also kill it but it doesn't solve the blank
screen, only a reboot helps.

Attached Xorg-12.04.1-nvidia_current.log file for when this happens.
Last line is:

[   206.517] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "LVDS-0: nvidia-auto-select
@1920x1080 +0+0, DP-0: nvidia-auto-select @1280x1024 +1920+0"
[   217.774] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT: (E, 0, 0x917d)

Also the mini-DP->DVI adapter gets really really hot if I leave it
connected with blank screen for a couple of minutes.

I've also tried the experimental drivers proposed on the Additional
Hardware screen (304.48-0ubuntu0.1 and 310.14-0ubuntu0.1), same thing
happens.

I found a guide where somebody managed to run Ubuntu 12.04 with multiple
monitors on this same notebook model:

http://blog.pearce.org.nz/2012/08/enabling-external-monitor-on-
lenovo.html

I followed this guide and installed the nvidia driver provided by x
-swat-ppa (304.64-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1). No luck.

One monitor is just fine, but with a second monitor connected, Xorg is
100% CPU usage and nothing works. I've also tried booting with second
monitor already connected, same thing, blank screen when lightdm
supposed to appear. Only a reboot helps.

With Ubuntu 12.10, the nouveau driver does recognize the card and the
resolution with the LCD panel is OK. When I connect the second monitor, I can
see the desktop, although with great discoloration and some
flickering/blinking, but when I try to move the mouse over the whole screen
just turns red and after that I cannot cross the mouse over to it anymore.
Proprietary drivers behave the same way as on 12.04, blank screen + 100% CPU
usage after connecting second monitor.

I've tested the whole thing on Windows 7 it's working without problems,
I can extend my desktop, I can move things to the second monitor etc.,
there is nothing wrong. Because of this, I don't think it's a hardware
issue.

Attached a bunch of logfiles and dmesg/lspci/etc output.

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  thinkpad w530 quadro k1000m cannot use second monitor