12.04, I think I have a related problem but with a USB mouse.

If you have a script like "20_custom-ehci_hcd" in any of the sleep.d
dirs, this may be the culprit here, since it unbinds hcd drivers upon
sleep.

"xinput" settings are lost on resume, and a 000-script in sleep.d fails
because the device is not seen yet.

To summarize:
Before suspend, 'xinput list' shows my USB mouse and keyboard devices.
On resume, while executing sleep.d scripts, the USB devices is missing from
'xinput list', even after 20_custom-ehci_hcd script has re-bound them.
After resume has completed, 'xinput list' shows the USB devices.

So, X does not rediscover the rebound devices until after the sleep.d
scripts have run.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  xinput and synclient forget user settings on resume