Edit:

As I have just discovered, the acpi scripts do not appear to be working
in 12.10 x64 on a lenovo t430. Using both the method described in the
link I posted and Chris Van Hoof's, I can't get the acpi events system
to execute the micmute.sh script. I followed both guides _exactly_. I
can manually invoke the script, but that defeats the purpose of having
the button. This is a simple script I created as a workaround for this
issue:

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
event="`acpi_listen -c 1`"
if [[ $event == "ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 0000101b" ]]
then
bash /etc/acpi/micmute.sh
fi
done

To use it, set it to be executable and add the path to the script in
/etc/rc.local

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in Ubuntu.

  Does not handle microphone mute button (KEY_MICMUTE)