Worst case scenario, just grab a screenshot ;-)
I should have also said, to make most sense out of those you need to have the
dbg packages installed.

Ok, so VLC is at the top. That's good as it rules out a whole host of
other worries. But we just need to peek inside VLC to see where the time
is spent to make sure it is using hw accel (that's where perf top
helps). How about if we compare with mplayer? Say mplayer -vo xv and
mplayer -vo gl?

Do you have a sample video I can check to rule out garbage there? Do you
see this issue with every video?

  Choppy and pixelated video on Macbook Air 5,1. Unable to run/view HD
  videos at all