The monitor doesn't have an EDID nor generate hotplug events. Without
the hw detection, we fallback to probing the EDID to determine if a
display maybe present. Since that is not, we then guess based on whether
we can read any values back from the VGA plane in the display (->
unknown connection status). That is a heavy-weight operation and only
performed upon explicit request from userspace, i.e. we do not run that
check periodically and synthesize hotplug events. This is an issue where
improving your experience is to the detriment of everyone else. Instead,
you basically need to manually trigger a probe whenever you plug in your
monitor (either through xrandr or the display manager).

** Summary changed:

- Laptop with Intel Graphics: external VGA monitor only gets signal on boot (no
“hot plugging”)
+ [expected] VGA monitor only gets signal on boot (no “hot plugging”, no EDID)