Yes, clone mode.

This bug was opened really just for collecting a set of logs to compare
with another bug about this issue.

Effectively the problem is that gnome is responsible for setting multi-
monitors to extended when present, however it's inconsistent doing this
and comes up cloned in situations where it shouldn't (which is gnome's
fault).

A side problem is that users *would* like to have it come up cloned
automatically when the external display is a projector; however afaik
there is no way to deterministically detect whether a display is a
projector.  It can be done heuristically by checking if the display's
physical dimensions are 0x0mm (which seems always the case with
projectors), however that is not yet implemented in gnome.

A compounding problem is that Fedora *does* patch X server to do
extended by default, and gnome shell's config tools were built with this
assumption.  (At least, this seemed so a few weeks ago when we were
studying the problem).

In any case, I don't need this bug anymore (the issue is a gnome one,
reported elsewhere), so will close it out.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  External monitor on laptop comes up mirrored