When installing 12.10 on our Thinkpad T22 laptops the display does not work.
12.04 works fine.
xserver-xorg-video-s3 is version 1:0.6.5-0ubuntu1
xserver-xorg-video-savage is version 1:2.3.6-0ubuntu1
I don't know if these are the packages involved but they are the ones that I
suspect may be involved.
This T22 model (and many other thinkpads from that era) use the "S3 Savage IX8"
chipsets.

Using the info from this link makes the display work.
=====
http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/thinkpad/T23_F17.html

Xorg :1 -configure
# ignore Configuration Failed message
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file: uncomment Option "DisableTile" in the Section
"Device" that contains the Savage driver options.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-savage (Ubuntu)

** Tags: kernel-bug-exists-upstream
--
Video driver not working for Savage chipset
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1083032