I recently installed the latest version of Ubuntu 12.10 on to my new
Samsung RV515 laptop, (used to be) running Windows 7, which uses
Elantech Touchpad. Before I installed Ubuntu I disabled Elantech and
used the Synaptics driver for the touchpad because I was already having
problems with the extras like two finger scrolling, zooming, ect (not
that disabling Elantech solved anything in Windows  as far as being able
to finger scroll but it was working as a simple touchpad, responsive to
clicks and movement). After installing Ubuntu (and wiping Windows
completely) the touchpad is very, very, slow to respond and when it does
it is jerky, inaccurate, and completely unresponsive to any clicks.
Basically, I can move the pointer but it doesn't accomplish anything.
When I navigate in Ubuntu by keyboard or a usb mouse to the devices'
settings both a touchpad and mouse show up. I have tried to manipulate
these settings but it has had no effect.

I'm guessing that since the touchpad shows up as a device and that
because I do get a little response from it that the driver is installed
and is being recognized but not functioning properly? Maybe there is an
earlier version of Ubuntu or Linux that does have full support for an
Elantech or Synaptics touchpad? Patches I can install that will fix the
touchpad? Any people with the same issue?

I know there's a lot of related material out there relating to the issue
of Ubuntu and Elantech touchpads but I have not been able to find
anything that describes my situation close enough to be fix or helpful.
All the threads I have found that may help me out are too far above my
head for me to understand (I don't know how to complile Kernels and
whatnot and am still pretty new with terminal commands).

 If you need any further information to diagnose this problem feel free
to comment or email me at no.gl...@gmail.com. I appreciate any feedback
offered.

Thank you,
NoGloww

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Elantech Touchpad is unresponsive, jerky, and doesn't respond at all to clicks.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1132986