I need someone to install the xserver from this ppa, and verify it fixes
the issue:

   https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/lp982889

All the Xorg.0.log files posted since I mentioned this PPA are from the
stock xserver (or older).  What we need is an Xorg.0.log from a session
with this PPA installed (and rebooted).  What I expect to see in the log
is something like:

(WW) drm device not ready (8), sleeping for 20us
(WW) drm device not ready (8), sleeping for 20us
(WW) drm device not ready (8), sleeping for 20us
(WW) drm device not ready (8), sleeping for 20us
(WW) drm device not ready (8), sleeping for 20us
(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:0166:144d:c0d7 rev 9, Mem @ 0xf0000000/4194304,
0xe0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x00003000/64

There should be no mention of "setversion 1.4 failed".

If anyone can verify the above on their system, I can push this fix.

which is subscribed to libdrm in Ubuntu.

  X trying to start before plymouth has finished using the drm driver