The low graphics and VT boots sound like the drm race condition bug
#982889.  There is a workaround posted in comment #5, and I've coded
what I think is a possible fix.  The fix is in a PPA, but I'm waiting on
someone to test it to verify it does fix it before I upload it.  (I'm
not 100% certain it will fix the issue for all cases, maybe just certain
failure modes.)

The crash in the photo might be an unrelated bug, since it occurs during
regular system usage.  (#982889 happens only at boot).  I'm not seeing
other reports about it though.  Let's focus this bug report on that
issue.

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- Intel Graphics instability/unreliability
+ xserver crash n drm_vblank_count_and_time

  xserver crash n drm_vblank_count_and_time