The same exact thing happened to me with that update. My 12.10
installation is on an old laptop, HP Pavilion DV4000, that has an older
Intel graphics chipset. The exact output of the "lspci | grep VGA" is as
follows:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)

After removing the same packages that QkiZ reported I too had success
with finally getting all the compoziting functionality back. The latest
version of VirtualBox is also installed on this laptop, but I see no ill
effects so far. The system or the VirtualBox did not complain of any
dependancies and the VirtualBox seems to be running just fine.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Composition manager can't start