Thanks Dave!

I *might* have it installed a hundred years ago - even that's not likely since
it was a new install from last April and I never changed the hardware and
surely never did anything but update/upgrade daily for some months.
Unfortunately that's my box at work so that usually it would be Monday that I'd
be there. Though, I'm so stumped with what goes on that i might go tomorrow,
weather permitting.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  ATI card not recognized after latest apt-get upgrade