Since I installed kernel version 3.8.2 I did not see the freeze I described
here. So for the moment I believe (hope) this kernel solves the problem I
reported here.
I have had only two unexpected shutdowns when the system idles for long time.
But this is a complete different situation as I described. So I did not think
this is related.

I will continue watching the system some more days and report when the
freeze occurs again.

Can you tell me what the kernel option "i915.i915_enable_rc6=0" is
causing? Should I enable the option yet?

  System freeze after high memory usage (Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit on ivy
  bridge HD4000)