I've upgraded ubuntu on my laptop from 12.04 to 12.10. After that i
noticed this bug several times.

Ocasionaly Cpu usage of process /usr/bin/X ... reaches 20% level or more
and all the system dehaves sluggishly.

I 've created Xorg config manualy using $sudo Xorg -configure.
I haven't noticed any wrong XOrg behaviour since that... so, manual configure
seems helpful.

Furthermore there are some options on the "Card section" you can play
with. I hope that solves the problem

dell laptop: core i5, graphics: i915

** Attachment added: "xorg.conf.new"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/294972/+attachment/3568022/+files/xorg.conf.new

  MASTER:  xorg high cpu usage, general system sluggishness