Ok, I am a victim of this infamous bug and it's getting really
frustrating. Apport just keeps spamming error messages and report
requests -until eventually, a real freeze occurs.

For reference, here are the requested files:

--40-xdiagnose.rules

# do not edit this file, it will be overwritten on update

# Jesse Barnes on ubuntu-de...@lists.ubuntu.com:
#   You'll get three events, one when the error is detected, one before the
#   reset and one after.  Each has a different environment variable set; the
#   initial error has ERROR=1, the pre-reset event has RESET=1 and the
#   post-reset event has ERROR=0.

# disable GPU hang hook for release
# SUBSYSTEM=="drm", ACTION=="change", ENV{RESET}=="1",
RUN+="/usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py"

xdiagnose:
  Installed: 3.2.3
  Candidate: 3.2.3
  Version table:
 *** 3.2.3 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/main amd64
Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-proposed/main amd64
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages

For lack of a better idea at this time, I've upgraded the upgrades from
Stable to Proposed -thus installing a cornucopia of things it seems I'll
never need, however, I haven't had another event in the last 10 minutes
or so.   I'll keep you posted.

which is subscribed to xdiagnose in Ubuntu.

  Constant "false gpu hang" system alerts