oh, and i wonder if instead of breaking xinit for the users that use it
by dropping the dep or demoting xterm to x-terminal-emulator if we could
probably just get away with not shipping it at all on the desktop
(indeed that gets us in debugging hell where users are asked to run
startx to produce a log etc, but we could just document that you have to
install xinit in such cases)

  xterm and gnome-terminal should not be dependencies