Problem occurs only with the mainline kernel which I had installed due
to bug 1162732 (computer does not wake up from suspend).

With Raring's current standard kernel I can get into the desired mirror
mode via (also awkward):

xrandr --addmode HDMI1 1366x768
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1366x768
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1366x768 --same-as LVDS1

Output of "uname -a" with the official kernel:

Linux till-twist 3.8.0-17-generic #27-Ubuntu SMP Sun Apr 7 19:39:35 UTC
2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Xorg crashed with SIGABRT in OsAbort() - Cannot mirror screen in good
  resolution