Two days ago I tested development version of ubuntu 13.04 i386 on a
laptop. (With the Unity desktop.)

The bug is still there. It is present on any hardware I have tested so
far. (Notebooks, laptops, deskop PCs, regardless the kind of graphics
card.)

The bug is extremly annoying for me because I often need to quickly
switch the size (vertical or horisontal or both) of desktop windows.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Toggle vertical and horizontal maximisation failes upon X server
  accelration