1. boot my laptop into recovery mode with no external mouse connected
   (only the laptop's builtin trackpad)
2. from the "Recovery Menu", select "failsafeX"

(This is a Lenovo ThinkPad T500 with Synaptics trackpad -- pretty
vanilla hardware that normally works perfectly with both gpm and
X.org.)

Expected behaviour:
- failsafe dialogs are controllable by keyboard (or by builtin trackpad)

Actual behaviour:
- initial dialog is keyboard controllable (space or enter clicks the
  "OK" button)
- but the second dialog ("What would you like to do?") is completely
  unresponsive: I cannot use tab or arrow keys to select different
  radiobuttons, I cannot use space or enter to click OK, the builtin
  trackpad does not work. There is no way to get into the failsafe X
  session. The only way out is Ctrl-Alt-F2 back to a text console
  followed by manual recovery. It's not quite failsafe!

Workaround: connect a USB mouse. Or reboot with USB mouse connected. I
think. If a USB mouse is connected *and working*, then the trackpad
magically starts working. But the USB mouse isn't always recognized, I
think. Unclear what it takes to make it work.

Anyways, even if the trackpad worked perfectly with or without a mouse
connected, this GUI should still be entirely keyboard controllable.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: friendly-recovery 0.2.25
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-27.46-generic 3.5.7.7
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-27-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu10
Architecture: amd64
Date: Sun Apr 14 21:57:34 2013
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
MarkForUpload: True
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: friendly-recovery
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-11-22 (143 days ago)

** Affects: xdiagnose (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug quantal
--
friendly-recovery: failsafeX dialog is not keyboard controllable
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1169004