Update on 12.10: it's not just keyboard-unusable, it's also mouse-
unusable. I just tried failsafe-x on my desktop system running 12.10,
and it is completely unusable. X works perfectly on this system, my
mouse is hooked up and working fine, everything is good. Details...

Steps to reproduce:
1) logout of X session
2) login on text console as root
3) "service lxdm stop" (or whatever your display manager is)
4) "service failsafe-x start"

Expected behaviour:
* initial dialog (acknowledge failsafe mode) is both keyboard controllable and
mouse controllable
* second dialog (choose action)  is both keyboard controllable and mouse
controllable

Actual behaviour:
* initial dialog works just fine
* neither keyboard nor mouse works to control the second dialog

When I move my mouse around, I do see flickering in that second dialog,
like when you mouse over different GUI widgets and the focus highlight
moves around. But the mouse pointer is invisible, and I cannot figure
out a way to click on "OK" or any of the radio buttons. And the keyboard
does nothing.

IOW: I see the exact same behaviour on my desktop and laptop running
12.10. I've recently installed 13.04 on my laptop, so I'll try it there
next.

** Summary changed:

- friendly-recovery: failsafeX dialog is not keyboard controllable
+ friendly-recovery: failsafeX dialog is completely unusable

which is subscribed to xdiagnose in Ubuntu.

  friendly-recovery: failsafeX dialog is completely unusable