If you have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN, you will need the 313.26 driver
available from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-
amd64-313.26-driver.html or the later 313.30 driver available at
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-313.30-driver.html

The later driver is recommended as it fixes an important security bug.
I mentioned the earlier driver because you can see in it's changelog the
mention of added support for the TITAN.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 in Ubuntu.

  Have an nvidia titan GPU with 2560x1600 monitor.  As soon as I enable
  the driver and reboot, X crashes with black screen