Hi,

I went down the path of attempting to create an xorg.conf file and gave
up -- way too problematic (X -configure fails for a variety of reasons,
both at root console / no x-windows and using :1 -- and the resultant
xorg.conf.new file [if I even get one] is so plain jane it's useless to
the common user).  In any case, this is a bug as you point out (the
default is wrong).

And, as in original bug report text -- ubuntu 12.10 is fine, along with
11.10 (skipped 12.04).

Thanks.  Of course, I'm hoping that, somewhere along the way, I simply
do an "update" and xorg is upgraded auto-magically and the default then
becomes the proper 24 or even 32 -- and I don't have to lift any fingers
to do any kind of 1-off thingy a la xorg.conf (on a similar note, I have
vi'd smb.conf for the last time and I will never vi smb.conf ever again
-- I just run an ftp server and I'm done -- hence, I'm not editing
xorg.conf, noting I can't even create one that's almost useful).

- Craig

On 04/27/2013 02:57 PM, Dave Gilbert wrote:
> Huh, OK that's....weird
>
> >From your Xorg.0.log:
> [    40.999] (==) intel(0): Depth 15, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
> [    40.999] (==) intel(0): RGB weight 555
>
> so that's saying the default is 15bit
>
> and from your xdpyinfo output:
>
> screen #0:
>    dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (444x278 millimeters)
>    resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
>    depths (7):    15, 1, 4, 8, 16, 24, 32
>
> so my reading is it's the default that's wrong there and the X server is
> saying it can do it; I wonder what happens if you create an X config
> file that specifies a depth - it might let you specify it.
>

> ** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  incorrect color depth - intel graphics card