I am running the latest NVIDIA driver, and I now have the correct screen
resolution, but it is crashing after a few minutes, especially when web
browsing.  The browser will become unresponsive, turn dark, then the
mouse will freeze, then the entire machine will reboot after about 20
seconds or so.

This is incredibly frustrating.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 in Ubuntu.

  Have an nvidia titan GPU with 2560x1600 monitor.  As soon as I enable
  the driver and reboot, X crashes with black screen