Public bug reported:

After 20 mins or so of use the mouse pointer continues to move however
the click out of the current window never seems to register. This leaves
the current app in focus. I also can't use the keyboard to change focus.
The interesting thing is some apps seem to keep responding to the mouse
when it was currently focused. Other apps (Chrome in particular) don't
respond. I guess its something to do with how they are structured from
an X perspective.

I have found a work around switching to one of the other consoles via
the Ctrl Alt F Keys then switching back. The system then works
perfectly, however it will have the same issue a few minutes later.

It seems to happen at startup frequently 50% roughly of the time it will
look up in the first minute after booting. After that it happens every
20 minutes or so. Can't find any pattern to when it happens. It seems to
happen at random and doesn't seem to matter which app has focus.

I know its not a Compiz or Unity bug (as I originally thought) as Gnome
Shell has the same issue. So as far as I can tell it means it must be an
issue with Xorg itself.

This originally occurred after an upgrade to 12.10. However 13:04
suffers the same issue. I have also done a reinstall of 12.10 which
exhibits the same issue.

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "The Xorg Log File"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1175279/+attachment/3661704/+files/Xorg.0.log

  Focus gets stuck on the current application