I still have this problem with 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1
16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
 with intel graphics HD4000.

When I first boot, changing brightness is fine.  But after a period of
time, it will hang if I adjust the brightness.

Similarly, when I first boot I can logout and power down my laptop
without issues, but after a time, if I attempt to log out or shutdown it
hangs.  I suspect these hangs are both related.

Adding 'acpi_backlight=vendor' to the kernel parameters didn't make much
of a difference for me.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  brightness adjusting crashes system