I wasn't able to collect any additional information when I observed a
hang, because I didn't have access to another system on the same network
to ssh in (though based on my observations, I'm confident it was only
the GPU.  The system responded to sysrq+k, though the console was never
properly restored).

If there is another way other than ssh to get a text login on the system
when it is in this state, I would like to know so that I can try it if
it happens again.

--
Karmic Intel GPU hang
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.