Some more feedback. The install to hard disk seems to go well. Running
from hard disk, using nouveau driver, seems at first glance OK. I left
the system, later took out of screen saver. Background and top bar and
left side bar ok. But while attempting to open the system setting, the
initial menu only shows a rectangle with a king of garbled noisy
pattern, nothing readable. Opening a terminal by ctrl-alt-t opens a
comparable rectangle. Nothing readable, some kind of garbled noisy
pattern (there seems to be some regualarity, random colers/spots). So
the nouveau driver still has some issues. After opening ctrl-alt-F1
terminal (that works OK) and installing nvidia-173 (suitable for my
graphics card) and a reboot, the original black background issue is
again present. So the bug is confirmed using the daily build 13.10
downloaded 28-may-2013. I guess it would make sense to perform the
apport-collect thing. But as the terminal is not visible, I need to type
blind. Please advise on course of action. Attempt to perform the apport-
collect (might install a startup script, maybe some logging into file).
Can install the script after starting into one of the resque options. Or
does it make sense to kick out nvidia and continue on nouveau? Please
advise.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  10de:0322 12.10: Black screen with GeForce FX 5200 card