Hi all,

I have a problem with my mouse cursor in X, it is invisible.

In the login manager such as gdm or kdm it is still visible but as soon as I
log in into Kde or Gnome it vanishs. The problem exists also with Fvwm2.

The problem occurred after upgrading from version 12.10 to 13.04.

I tried xsetroot -cursor-name trek, this works at least in Fvwm2 which is now
my default window manager. With "it works" I mean that I'm able to see the
cursor in front of the desktop background but not in front of all application
windows.
In xterm the cursor is invisible, what is working is xclock and the gtk
application
gucharmap. Also firefox and similar applications are not usable.

As a workaround I start a vnc server and connect to it. I'm not able to use Kde
or Gnome but at least Fvwm2 works there more or less.

I have a notebook consisting of a GMA500 graphic chip from Intel. Changing the
kernel (as reported to work for a similar bug with the i915 driver) does not
help. Currently I'm using 3.8.0-22 but I tried also much older ones. The used
driver
is currently vesa, fbdev has the same trouble. I tried to play with xorg
options such
as SWCursor, HWCursor but it seems they are not supported any longer (e.g.,
"VESA(0) :Option "HWCursor" is not used").

I tried the most recent xorg stuff (daily snapshots) without no success. Now I
started to revert
xorg related packages back to 12.10. This worked flawlessly for xorg but because
of too many dependecy problems it fails for libx11. Don't know of other
software which could be responsible.

Of course I also played with cursor themes in KDE and Gnome (at least Gnome is
not friedly for keyboard users!!!) but no success.

I have no ideas any more ...

Help!
Jens

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)