Well, that's a simpler description and the detail's in the comment
anyway, but I had no way of knowing if the GUI approach might be
touching anything in the 'alternatives' system or thereabouts different
from direct apt manipulation.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist in solving, maybe I
can see if this is reproducible from liveUSB where it wouldn't be hard
to write a stick and get back to the "Xorg radeon driver actually works
fine until you try something else" state.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  uninstalling fglrx results in unknown bad state