According to the specifications for my model notebook online, I do but I
apologize if I am incorrect in trusting these. The issue is getting
hardware acceleration to work at all / work correctly on my system which
is running 13.04. I was not aware that nomodeset made it a useless log
as I'm new to linux development, so I apologize for that. I have however
found a fix for my particular issue finally. It seems to be common
problem from what I've found online over the past few days.

The final fix was to edit /etc/default/grub and set the following (and
yes I had realised afterwards that nomodeset had to be removed from the
grub parameters).

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force
i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

It seems to be common for people to advertise nomodeset as a fix to this
particular intel graphics issue, however the fix was somewhat different
for me and I was thrown off for a while having nomodeset as a parameter.

I hope I haven't caused too much inconvenience to the bug fixing
process. Please let me know if I can improve on what I've done.

  A potential fix for Intel HD 4000 graphics