Sounds good. I'll give that a shot. I have since retired the E430 in
question as my primary system since I cannot get the Broadcom drivers
working on 3.7, 3.9, or 3.10, and cannot switch the wireless card as the
system halts due to it requiring with no questions this particular model
Broadcom wifi chip and no others (epic fail, Lenovo). I'm going to set
up the Lenovo with 13.04 and all of the kernels available and test each
one individually. Since this issue has popped up even when it's idle,
I'll just let it run idle indefinitely. No wireless needed for that. ;)
I'll post back here with any updates.

Out of curiosity, are there any changelogs for 3.9 or 3.10 that suggest
vsync was updated to perhaps fix this issue with newer kernels?

  [snb] 13.04 goes into hard lock mode randomly.