> My Type 7 keyboard has a PC layout. For at least the Type 6 keyboard there
> are at least two layouts: PC layout and UNIX layout. The UNIX layout has the
> capslock and control keys switched and I believe the Escape key was also
> moved. Another difference is that the power key was changed to a standby key
> (same keycode, but different icon printed on the key?)
Well, these days all linuxes are using same keycodes from evdev driver. What
keycode does that key generate?(In reply to comment #5)

> Another detail of my Sun Type 7 USB keyboard: It has a euro sign on the 4,
> instead of on the 5 as is more usual for other keyboard vendors.
You can you XKB option euro:4 if you like...

For a moment it looks there is no immediate need in separate model.
Perhaps an alias for Sun Type 6. Alan?

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  Sun Type 7 USB keyboard misdetected by X