I installed 12.04 LTS on 2013-04-18, and everything was running fine. I
updated to 12.10 Quantal on 2013-04-21 and once the upgrade was
complete, I rebooted.

Bug:
1. Upon reboot, I couldn't get past the Ubuntu loading screen (never got to
login, went to a black screen instead).
2. I rebooted again and this time I pressed ESC to get to the console and
logged in the console
3. I tried "startx" and it failed with "No Screen Found"
4. I looked at /var/log/xorg.0.log and found that it was trying to load a bunch
of modules "intel", "vesa", and a few others... seems like it was trying to
find a drivers to load but couldn't find any. At the bottom of the log it gave
up with "No Drivers Available" or something.

Workaround:
5. I found that I had a bunch of xserver-*-lts-quantal packages, and I thought
those weren't supposed to be there so I "apt-get install
xserver-xorg-video-intel" and it replaced the xserver-*-lts-quantal packages
with just xserver-xorg.
6. Rebooted, and the problem was gone (X started fine).

So everything is working now, but I thought I'd file this somewhere since I had
a very stock install (~3 days old) and it seems like it failed to update
xserver packages during the 12.04->12.10 upgrade. I'm on a ThinkPad T410s and
my video card is:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)

Please let me know if I filed this in the wrong place :)

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: quantal
--
xserver-xorg-core not installed on update from 12.04 to 12.10
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1171666