Public bug reported:

I have a Lenovo S430 and the touchpad is not working properly. I believe
it is a hardware bug but it can probably be fixed by software. The multi
finger touchpad have no buttons and by pressing the bottom of the pad it
sends either a left click or a right click. Unfortunately the bottom of
the pad is also sensitive to touch so when clicking the mouse cursor
would move just before the click.

This is also a problem when trying to select something. Sometimes when
you rest a finger on the button to depress as you are moving the cursor
with another finger. The touchpad picks this up as a two finger movement
and stops working as expected.

My suggested solution is to be able to set the zones on the touchpad
that is insensitive to touch (for normal mouse movement).

There ia already have something similar for mouse scrolling where the
edges of the tabs do not react to normal mouse movements but only act as
scroll buttons.

I believe by allowing me to set the bottom part of the scrollpad as
insensitive to normal mouse behaviour it would solve my problem.

It could of course have some interesting uses in the future eg. Using
the edges similar to the Ubuntu Touch. EG. Using dragging from edge to
switch apps,

** Affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  S430 touchpad very uncomfortable to work with