Ah, well auto detection and forcing that resolution doesn't work right
now either. My monitor just goes to blank if I use displays to set
things up.

But lower bw than VGA you mean specifically on this chip? Because
wikipedia says, that single link DVI has a pixel clock of 165 MHz which
should be plenty: "With a single DVI link, the highest supported
standard resolution is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval) at
60 Hz refresh." They list some examples to which 1920x1200 fits just
fine :(

I actually have slightly better performance with xorg-edgers. I've
played mostly with gnome-ubuntu (gnome-shell) and even there performance
was slugish. Granted, no dedicated video memory.

Best performance came with xubmcuntu, which drops all the composited UI
etc, but the framerate was pretty bad even there.

  [q35] 3D performance is very bad