Yeah, I can try another kernel, but I don't see how that helps to
identify the problem. Shouldn't there be some register or log showing
what part of the system is getting out of sorts?

PS: After a  long shutdown and restart, the problem reappeared within 15
minutes of starting. I noticed this time that the cpu temperature does NOT go
up when the system is lagging. When performance is normal, cpu temperature goes
up quite a bit.

~$ gtkperf -a
Total time: 108.74  (normal is around 10)

~$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
 Timing cached reads:   142 MB in  2.02 seconds =  70.45 MB/sec  (normal is
around 800)
 Timing buffered disk reads:  62 MB in  3.08 seconds =  20.14 MB/sec

  13.04,  lag under desktop environments