The vmware workstation version 6.5.3 has the fix for the problem.
In the original description I made a mistake and reported wrong vmware version.
It is 6.2.1. It should be 6.5.1
The fix is not perfect. I expect that the Ctrl-g gets consumed on the host
side, but instead the 'g' make to the application on guest. Anyway, it doesn't
bother me.

I have seen the problem with vmware server (effectively vmware remote
console plug-in version 2.5.0.122581). I hope the next release of vmware
server will include the same fix.

--
vmware workstation 6.5.2 - keyboard misbehaving in guest
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in ubuntu.