Hi Patrik,

I managed to get the proper resolution even with vesa. It doesn't help
with the cursor but here are the steps:

*I increased the monitor frequency settings and now the vesa driver is able to
find a suiteable one. I don't know whether it is a normal vesa mode but my
graphic card contains some valid modes which I can see e.g. in grub: vbemodes
(or similar).
  Strange that a LCD monitor still requires a frequency range!??
* First I tried to specify the modeline used in the framebuffer mode which I
obtained with fbset -x. Nevertheless the vesa driver fails to recognise this
mode "(no mode of this name)". A bug?
* All this I did without gma500_gfx kernel module. Once I load it the display
flickers again so I do not like it. But it seems that I'm able to suspend with
pm-suspend only with this module. Without, the display never wakes up and stays
off after resume. I tried also various --quirk-* options without gma500_gfx for
suspend.
* After loading gma500_gfx (and possible resume from suspend state) I find also
modesettings options in the X log file.

Yes, you're right. I have a nice orange Sony Vaio P device (VPCP11S1E)
:-)

** Attachment added: "Updated x config file"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1187427/+attachment/3766475/+files/xorg.conf

  Mouse cursor invisible