Chris,
  Thanks.
   I attempted to run the apport command from an alternate terminal during
 my last lockup, but was denied access due to a lack of an http referrer.
Not sure if this would work better if I were to try this from home, rather
than from work..

   I have a somewhat less-than-satisfactory workaround for the black screen:
   I can drop to a terminal, and run "unity --replace" twice. This trashes
access to ssh-agent for new shells, and re-arranges the desktop, but, at
least it leaves my currently running processes alone.
I'm actually running 12.04 LTS rather than 12.10

 lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Thanks,
  Brad

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Chris Wilson <ch...@chris-wilson.co.uk>wrote:

> Please apt-get install xdiagnose and run apport-collect 1200807 after
> the issue occurs so that I can check your system for obvious errors.
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1200807
>
> Title:
>   Frequent black screen with graphics cursor upon returning from
>   screenlock
>
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
>   Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
>   Occurs frequently, Since installing package updates last week.
>
>   Hardware: Lenovo X220 I7
>   Have tried unity --reset
>   Have tried resetting compiz settings.
>
>   Have recursively removed  .compiz* .gconf* .config/dconf/
>   .config/compiz*
>
>   Bug 966744 looks very similar.
>
>   Thanks!
>
>   Brad
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

  [12.10] Frequent black screen with graphics cursor upon returning from
  screenlock