The problem did not occur in releases prior to raring (just checked
12.10 from a live-usb and there is only one monitor output). Raring is
special: When running unity I didn't noticed the bug because the second
imaginary monitor is disabled by default (but still present in the
system settings). However on Kubuntu 13.04 this second monitor output is
on by default. On Saucy I get this second screen additionaly in lightdm
(which was not the case in raring) which means I can move the mouse
cursor over the right edge of the screen.

  [HP G62-b03SG] Incorrectly two monitors detected with radeon