Public bug reported:

Freshly installed Ubuntu freezes after login (30-60 seconds). Only hard
reset possible. The problem is the Nouveau driver with my Geforce GTX
580. After I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver it works flawlessly
again.

When asking about help I even found another GTX 580 user with the same
problem. This didn't happen in earlier Ubuntu versions (Didn't have this
problem about 1-2 years ago on the same PC).

Terrible user experience after a first start. Without use of the
terminal you can't solve it.

Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  Freshly installed Ubuntu freezes after login (30-60 seconds). Only hard
  reset possible. The problem is the Nouveau driver with my Geforce GTX
  580. After I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver it works flawlessly
  again.

  When asking about help I even found another GTX 580 user with the same
  problem. This didn't happen in earlier Ubuntu versions (Didn't have this
  problem about 1-2 years ago on the same PC).

  Terrible user experience after a first start. Without use of the
  terminal you can't solve it.
+
+ Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit

  Ubuntu freezes after login (30-60 seconds) with Nouveau (Geforce GTX
  580)