** Description changed:

  The official Nvidia long-lived-branch stable driver is now 319.49.  That
  means that the recommended official driver is 319.49 and should be used
  by all Nvidia users except those using old legacy devices.  There are
  important fixes that are in this driver and the previous 319.17 that
  affect Chromium browser users especially:

  + Fixed a memory leak that occurred when destroying a GLX window but not
  its associated X window.

  These can crash machines using Nvidia GPU's according to a Chromium-bug
  http://crbug.com/145600 "NVIDIA linux drivers are unstable when using
  multiple Open GL contexts and with low memory.:" and if check
  `about:gpu` you will see this is a major reason most if not all Nvidia
  GPU's are currently blacklisted.

- Also, when using Windows 7 I am liberty to install any driver version I
- want, keeping my machine up to date with the latest official Nvidia
+ Also, when using Windows 7 I am at liberty to install any driver version
+ I want, keeping my machine up to date with the latest official Nvidia
  fixes.  With Ubuntu I'm stuck with older drivers that affect performance
  and contain old bugs that have already been fixed.  This leads to a
  lower quality experience than with Windows.  Drivers need to be kept
  current with upstream in my opinion.  For the time being I have been
  cherry-picking *.deb packages from X-Org-Edgers so that I can replicate
  that Windows experience and it's been working.  However, all Ubuntu
  users should have this experience as well and most do not know how to
  manually install packages using DPKG so it is out of their reach.

  The current Nvidia driver versions are as follows:
  http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

  Long Lived Branch version: 319.49 <-- `nvidia-current` should be here as
stable
  Short Lived Branch version: 325.15 <-- `nvidia-updates` should be here as
unstable
  Legacy GPU version (304.xx series): 304.108 <-- `nvidia-current-legacy`
should be here.

  This situation has to be solved, Ubuntu cannot be so far behind the
  curve that it cannot keep Nvidia drivers fresh and in sync with the
  upstream Nvidia release schedule...

which is a bug assignee.

  All nvidia-current and nvidia-updates need repackaging to mirror
  official Nvidia releases...