+Timo, my tone was one of excitement and not really a rant, so I
apologize if I came off as sounding impatient and I can understand the
long hours everyone here puts into this and I really do appreciate this
and am very grateful.

However, I'm looking at this from a "customer expectations" point of
view and not a developer point of view.  This applies specifically to
sophisticated customers such as gamers, engineers/scientists/developers
and power-users who are the most likely candidates to migrate from
Windows to Ubuntu on the desktop.  From the customer point of view -
especially gamers and demanding power users - the driver release cadence
is still way too slow and is a valid bug.  Sophisticated users need to
flexibility to extract the maximum performance and ensure maximum
stability for their system especially for mission-critical applications.

Whether we like it or not the industry standard that every customer
expects is that set by Windows 7/8 and for those systems there are
always fresh drivers available within days of release.  Anything slower
is perceived as being sub-standard. It's not a matter of who's right or
who's wrong it's that we need to at least match or even better beat that
release cadence. Ideally a Linux distribution should find a way to be
ahead of a Windows release cadence.

which is a bug assignee.

  All nvidia-current and nvidia-updates need repackaging to mirror
  official Nvidia releases...