This happens on both Ubuntu 13.10 Unity, and Ubuntu GNOME. It use to
happen on Kubuntu, but the ".config" settings have solved it. No more
gliches on Kubuntu 13.10 at all.

With Ubuntu 13.10 Unity, the Launcher and Panel are "rainbow" colored
and completely cover up Launcher & Panels. The background is normal. The
Launcher flashes for a breif second so I see the icons, but then the
"rainbow" color covers it up.

With Ubuntu 13.10 GNOME, it is random when it freezes. I can ALWAYS
cause it to freeze if I start Empathy. Various programs can cause it to
freeze but not always. Empathy will always freeze the computer, and
cause the screen to have unrecognizable virtical lines. A power off is
the only option, That "elephant" nonsense doesn't work here.

I know its the "GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" graphics that's causing this,
because if I use "nomodeset" nothing freezes.
With Kubuntu, when it first started freezing, I could use "modeset=0" and it
would work.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Nouveau driver glitch on Ubuntu 13.04 will cause system to freeze
  under certain conditions